Help, I Don't Know where to Start - Finding the Nearest Legal Services Office - Directory of Participating Programs - Other Sources of Legal Help - Courts - Go to the Beginning
Legal Help for West Virginians
Help, I Don't Know where to StartFind the Nearest Legal Services OfficeDirectory of Participating ProgramsOther Sources of Legal HelpThe CourtsGo to the  Beginning

If the State or one of its agencies is seeking to terminate parental rights, the parent who cannot afford a lawyer is entitled to have one appointed for him or her. The parent should ask for a lawyer at the first court hearing in the case.

If the parent can afford a lawyer, he or she should hire one as soon as possible. Information about lawyers can be obtained from the Yellow Pages of the local phone book or from the West Virginia State Bar Association.

This ends the discussion of termination of parental rights. We hope you have found it helpful. Return to the menu to proceed.

Buffalo Creek Valley from reclaimation site